Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My shins don't like me lately.

I would say I have been a "runner" for about a year. Actually, I believe it was Feb 7th last year that I gave up smoking and started running. More walking then running at the time, but it got me to the 13.1 miles on June 26th, 2010 and that's all that matter. Ever since then I have done a few 10ks, a few 5ks, but never have gone more then a few days without running. I originally used this training schedule to get me started and keep me on track. This time around it's up in the air whether or not I'll move from beginner to intermediate. I would love to move on and train based on improving time, but unfortunatley my body has not cooperated with me over the last month.

About a month ago two things went wrong. First I began flaring again (and since this blog is dedicated to IBD - that will be in its own post later this week). Secondly I got shin splints, again.

My shins hate me. I don't know if the change from running on a treadmill for a long period, then running outside, then back on the treadmill. Maybe since I have a few decent hills around me. Who knows. But the only way to heal shin splints in to STOP RUNNING. Believe me easier said then done. So I took two weeks off. Ran one day and still had pain. Took another week off, still had pain. Today was the 4th week. Although not pain free, it wasn't so much shin splints that was painful to me. So I did a short 20 min/ 2 mile run on the treadmil this afternoon. Then some ice. Tomorrow I will be on the way home from Albany so it will be my day off.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get into the flare I'm having. Til then.

No comments:

Post a Comment