Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dear Heartbreak Hill,


Pre-workout stretch
Dear Heartbreak Hill,

You don't scare me.
True I may not have just run 19 miles to get to you, but you aren't as tough as you think.
Last year, I ran Blue Hills.
Top that.

Love,
KerriAnn

Yes, I truly mean that. We ran Heartbreak Hill this past Saturday and it was not as difficult as I had imagined. Now granted we had only run a mile previous to the start of heartbreak hill, so I can imagine what it was like for those who have run 19+ miles to get there. That would have been bad. But I still think the Blue Hills/ "BOSTON13.1" we ran last year during Team Challenge was way worse. Not just Chickatawbut (the overlook that looks down upon the city of Boston) - up and down twice, but the 1.5 steady incline beginning at mile 10. That one was the killer. Slow and steady and I think it took my 14 minutes to finish that mile.

Victory
I may have completed heartbreak hill, but it kicked my butt. After struggling with diarrhea all week running was not something i should have done. I was weak, dehydrated and I could tell. The 3 miles back I ran slower than normal and even threw in a few walking breaks. I am not superwoman and when i am sick I need to remember to slow down.

I have not run since Saturday as I am still struggling with symptoms. I am signed up for a 6k on Sunday so running on Saturday is out of the picture. I'm hoping I am better by Friday, or at least good enough for a decent run.

No comments:

Post a Comment