Thursday, April 7, 2011

Breaking The Vicious Cylcle

SCD.       

No Starch. No Lactose. No Sugar.
Not as hard as it sounds.

I have had luck on this diet in the past after I was first diagnosed, and after all the crap (Pun-Intended) I have been going through the last two months I’m ready to give it a shot again.

This actually all came about after a conversation with my mother over a week ago, (after a night of heavy partying on my part – I don’t recommend that for IBD patients).

Mom: “Call Dr.Cohen and refill your prescription”

Me: “All Dr.Cohen is going to do is want to see me and I don’t have the time to go in there.”

Mom: “But you have the time to spend all day drinking, the next day hungover all while in pain running to and from the bathroom. Makes sense.”

Me: “Well when you put it like that it sounds bad.”

Mom: “Is it worth it? Is it worth all the pain and the diarrhea? You should call your doctor, refill your script and go back on your diet.” Period.

Mom’s right. It’s not worth it. And then after talking to some team mates who are on SCD I put myself back on it. Now, I know dark chocolate isn’t on the “legal” list, but besides my 1 square a night, I’m pretty much lactose-, starch- and sugar-free for over a week.  My frequency has dropped to 5x a day and things are starting to look more normal. I’m still in pain and bleeding, but one step at a time.

My new food bible 

I ordered an SCD cookbook and tried a recipe from it the other night and it was wonderful. As soon as Whole Foods gets some almond flour in, I’m planning on trying to make SCD bread. But that’s another post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment